Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Wall Art/Mini Quilts

I have spent the last few weeks working day in and day out, during nap time and time when I should have been asleep, working on these cute little wall art pieces. I originally wanted to make them for embroidery hoops, but later on once all the pieces were done, and I realized how much extra fabric I had left over; I thought, I could make these into mini quilts, and still hang them on my walls! I recently came across mini quilts on pinterest and fell instantly in love with them. I was so inspired I just hand to make some.

I started the sewing machine piece, way back when I first injured my knee (September 2013). I finally had a chance to clean my sewing/craft room and came across all the material and instantly got inspired again. It did help I had a chance to go to a local quilt show recently too!

The process was pretty simple. I cut out 12 x 12 inch squares of the black fabric, and then come up with a sewing design I want to place on it. I used the internet to find all my designs, and just blew up images, cut them out and placed them on the fabric I wanted to use.

With each block I used a different technique. I appliqued using a blanket stitch, a whip stitch, straight stitch, and embroider stitch. I did all this by hand sewing. I used the machine to piece the outer boarders on, quilt it, and then the binding. I did hand sew the folded side of the binding. I also placed small triangles onto the back of the mini quilt (while putting the binding on), and then used a small wooden rod to place between the triangles to hang each quilt. Super easy and perfect to hide how you hang the quilt.

Now, heres a look at the finished quilts and some detailed shots:















I made each boarder unique.

The back had triangles to hang them up.

Up on the wall and my room is starting to feel like a sewing room!

Happy Sewing,
Sarah

No comments: