Thursday, October 3, 2013

California Vacation

Have you ever gone on that one vacation and it just starts out awesome, but ends in a huge crash and burn? The one, where when you get home you think, "I never want to remember that trip ever again." Or maybe you have had that vacation where you planned everything out and everyday had something going on, then suddenly ... you end up in the ER and your entire trip is pretty much cancelled! Anyone?

Well, if you read my last post you know the vacation had an awesome start! We even made it to Disneyland (for the first day). We booked a weekend at the local RV lot, drove the father-in-laws RV  up on Friday, and got settled in. We went to Disneyland on Saturday with some of my family and my husbands parents. It was a lot of fun, minus the fact my oldest had his top two teeth coming in and was popping fevers and crying and wanted to be held the entire day. OTHER then that, the day was a lot of fun, with a lot of laughs!

We finished up the day, and headed back to the RV to get ready for the night and our next day at Disneyland. The boys went to bed well, including my sick one, and they both slept a solid 11 hours! It was a miracle! When we all woke up, we took our time, as we weren't meeting up with anyone, and packed up for the day. We grabbed our shuttle like the day before and headed off for a day of fun!

When we arrived we just took our time. We did a parent swap so I could finally ride star tours with all those new story lines. It was awesome and I am glad I was able to ride the ride. We then went to the nursery off main street to change the boys diapers and feed them. When we got their, Jared was upset and ready to eat, so I fed Jared and my husband tried to feed our oldest. I then went to change Jared's diaper, and when I came out to switch my husband for our oldest I leaned down, and my knee popped several times, and I felt a seriously large amount of pain. My husband jumped into action and grabbed Jared out of my arms. Another gentleman grabbed a chair and helped me sit down.

The rest of the day just seemed to be a blur. The Disneyland sheriff, or cop, or whatever they are came to take a report. However, after being with me for awhile we agreed the best idea was to try and pop my knee back in (as thats what I have done in the past). When I did so, I felt even more pulling and no pops. So, they then called an ambulance to take me to the hospital. By now, both of my boys are crying and the staff had taken both of them and tried to calm them down. The staff at the nursery were amazingly nice, and helped my husband collect all our belongings. My oldest was upset pretty bad, so the staff gave him a small mickey mouse. I only learned this after the entire day was over.

Once the emergency personnel had arrived I was a hot mess myself. I was crying, I was telling my husband I was so sorry, I know I said "I ruined everything", a few hundred times. I was eventually lifted onto a stretcher, transferred to the ambulance and got to see a small part of the back stage area. Sadly, it was not how I wanted to see the back stage area. I got to see my oldest and my husband before I was rushed off to the hospital. My husband and kids were given a ride back to the RV and my husband pulled everything, cleaned everything, and drove the RV to his Aunts house.

Thankfully, my husbands Aunts house was just up the street. My husband drove the RV to her house, dropped it off, dropped off the boys with her daughters to babysit while his Aunt drove him to the hospital. While he was busy getting that done, I was at the ER getting my knee re-set. My knee cap was about an inch out of its socket, they pumped me full of pain meds and pulled my leg, what felt like, a hundred times. Once they reset my knee cap, the x-ray person came to take some pictures.

I was pretty relaxed and exhausted at this point. The doctor came by to see me and introduce himself. He mentioned he would look at the x-rays and get back to me as soon as possible. I laid in the bed for awhile. I started to feel pain again, and shortly after I was in excruciating pain. I asked the nurse for more pain meds and mentioned that I could feel a lot of pain. She said "Yeah I KNOW, but you just have to wait for the Dr to come see you first." I was so upset, and in a lot of pain. I laid in the bed crying, and crying even more.

After about an hour and a half passed without any pain meds, my wonderful husband finally showed up! I was so happy to see him. I was crying when he arrived, explained what happened, and he talked to a very different nurse. The nurse made a call, and the doctor came by about 40 minutes later. While we waited, my husband went back out to get his Aunt and she came to visit. Then when my husband came back, the Orthopedic surgeon finally showed up. As he was asking me to bed my knee and straighten it I mentioned I was off pain meds for the past 2 hours or so. He ordered pain meds right then and there. He then explained the x-rays came back with nothing out of place. In other words the first doctors had reset my knee cap. The doctor then continued to explain that he would get our paperwork started so we could leave. I started to cry because yet again I was going to be sent home and yet again leave without an answer as to why my knee was killing me.

My husband asked for an MRI to see why I was still in pain. I was crying and saying "here we go again, going around in circles." Eventually the doctor agree to do the MRI. After another hour or so, a few puke bags later and puke all over the MRI machine; I had my MRI done. I was give a nausea medicine three different times. The first two didn't work, the third one; which I received after my MRI, helped and I even got some rest.

While I was asleep, my husband made a few phone calls to let the family know what was going on. Meanwhile, I received a text message from my family that my mother was also in the hospital. Now, this day just went from bad to worse. I eventually got the information from the orthopedic surgeon that my ACL was torn, and that there was a lot of scar tissue. The pain that I was feeling was the scar tissue rubbing in all the wrong places and the torn ACL. I was given a prescription of some pain meds and headed out the door.

I arrived at the ER around 11AM and we were getting in the car to go back to my husbands Aunts house around 10pm! I had a muffin for breakfast around 9am, and nothing else the entire day. I was finally going to enjoy some food! Once I got back to my husbands Aunts house I contacted my family and found out what was going on with my mother. Thankfully she was admitted to the hospital and had surgery for her kidney. She was having pain and they caught it just in time. She thankfully is doing a lot better now, and is recovering!

The rest of our trip was pretty much something like this: I would mope around, sit on the couch, cry, and feel horrible that I couldn't do anything. Meanwhile, my poor husband was getting up at 5 or 6am with our little guy, and dealing with both our toddler and our little one all on his own. We did get to go out on a date night with my brother-in-law and my sister-in-law, thanks to my mother-in-law and father-in-law watching the kids for us. We did a lot of sitting around the house and having friends come visit us.

Our double date night! At the movies, note the crutches :(
 The vacation basically turned into a long period of time where I was in pain and my husband was left to take care of the kids. In the end the vacation wasn't a vacation. I still am so thankful for my amazing husband who has and did take care of all three of us. I could not thank him and everyone who helped myself and my kids enough! It was a lot easier with the extra help, and I'm glad we had so many helpful hands around. I don't think we could have done it without all the extra help.

We packed up our stuff, OK really my husband packed up our stuff, and we headed up to Beale AFB. We arrived Thursday morning, received our house before noon, and our TMO was delivered on Friday. Unfortunately, our TMO did not go so well, but that will have to wait for another post!

So glad to be home,

No comments: