Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Crayon Travel Case

With our move to California fast approaching I needed to start getting some of these travel sewing ideas made. One of them was a crayon holder that rolled up. I have seen these used for crochet tools, sewing items, and even makeup and toiletry items. They roll up for easy storing, and my son wont be able to rip the box like he already did! 

Now if you check pinterest you might find tons of these, but they all tie up with ribbons. I hate that, because I want to be able to throw it in the washer. I have had too many ribbons fray in the washer, and even get caught and rip. So my solution was an elastic band and button closure. You will need to figure out how much fabric by measuring out the amount of crayons or other tools you want to put in the pocket. I had larger size crayons so I gave them an inch each for their pocket. I then added about 4 more inches to the end so I had room to roll around the crayons.

I started with 2 pieces of fabric that were 13 inches by 6 inches. I then cut the pocket piece of fabric at 13 inches by 5 inches.


I then took the (green) pocket piece of fabric and ironed a fold (about 1/2inch) to make a nice seam on the top.


Once I had the fold ironed down, I moved over to the sewing machine and stitched along the fold about 1/4 inch from the fold.



I then layered the 3 pieces with the elastic hook. NOTE: a small hair tie works really well! I place one of the larger pieces of fabric right side up, then placed the pocket fabric right side up. Place the elastic band on one end and then place the last piece of fabric right side down on top of the other two. Pin the side where the elastic band is, securing it in place.


Once the three pieces are all stacked together it should look like this.


I then stitched along the edge to secure the elastic band. I back stitched when I go to the elastic band to help secure it in place.


I then changed my stitch to a zigzag and went back and forth over the elastic band to really secure it in place and make sure it doesn't slip.


I then moved over to my serger and serged around the last 3 edges. I left a small hole about 2 inches wide, so I can flip the entire thing inside out. MAKE SURE YOUR HOLE IS NOT ON THE SIDE WHERE THE POCKET FABRIC IS.
NOTE: if you don't have a serger you can straight stitch about 1/4 inch around the entire thing (again leaving a hole), then just zigzag stitch on the right side of the straight stitch.


Notice the hole on the top left corner (above). I then flipped the 3 fabrics inside out. Fold in the fabric at the hole, and iron it down. Continue ironing the rest of the fabric to make it nice and smooth.






Pin the fabric at the hole if you need to. Then top stitch around the entire thing. Usually I start about an inch or so before the open hole with a lock stitch, then continue around the edge and finish with another lock in stitch where you started.


Your finished product should look something like this:


I then stitched one pocket as a test run, to made sure the crayon fit. Once I knew it fit I continued the spacing for the rest of the crayons.



 When stitching the lines I started with a lock in stitch and ended with a lock in stitch to be sure the pockets didn't come undone.


I then placed all the crayons in the pocket and rolled it up to see where the button would need to go.


I pulled the elastic band slightly and noted the spot where I wanted to place the button.


 
I then chose the button I wanted and stitched it into place. Be sure to watch where your stitching. Mine landed right where the pocket was, so i had to work carefully so not to catch the pocket and sew it shut.



Once it was on, I checked to make sure it worked, and it was a huge success!


Finished product:


Now, I do want to say that after I made this I would go back and make the extra fabric a little longer, only because the button fell where the pocket was and it would have been easier to sew on if it fell along the empty part. I would add another 3 or 4 inches next time. Hope that helps and I hope you all enjoy this quick and easy one day project!

Now you can color on the go,
Sarah

No comments: